Monday, July 18, 2011

Finally crafting.

Well, I'm starting to become less of a bump on a log and getting a few projects going. Of course there are other projects I still need to start/finish on my list, but I got excited about a few new ones. That always seems to happen.

The only complete project I have to show you is one that didn't take very long. I saw a "pin" of this DIY from The Painted Hive and knew immediately I must do this. We've been looking for a floor lamp for our living room since there is no ceiling lighting, but hadn't found one we especially liked or wanted to pay for. Enter the tripod lamp.

Hello Beautiful. I've been wanting to buy a lamp kit and turn something into a lamp, but hadn't found anything. However, I happen to have a cheap metal music stand from my cello-ing days.

I had to modify it a bit by sawing off a bit of the top part where the actual music stand part goes, but other than that it was ready. Well, no. I'm lying. My dad sawed off that piece and then made the bottom of the lamp kit fit snugly onto it by smashing the rod a bit. He's so handy.

The bright silver wasn't cutting it, so I bought some Oil-Rubbed Bronze Rustoleum spray paint ($5) and got to work. It only took about 2 coats so it was super fast (except when it randomly rained and messed up the paint a bit)... Then I got a $10 shade at Ikea. Altogether it was probably $25 for the paint, lamp kit, and shade, but the satisfaction of creating such a neat piece is... cliche coming... priceless. Can't find my camera charger so phone photos will suffice.





Also, I got a kitten. Yes, I just got an adult cat a few months ago. This was a spur of the moment (sort of) decision and I was in a bit of trouble for coming home with this sweet baby girl who is currently walking all over the keyboard. She's about two month old and weighs what feels like a pound. Carlton is transitioning well from what we can see and we're enjoying seeing them interact and having them around. Since I surprised John with her, I gave him the change to name her... which I regret because currently his top pick is Hurricane... I think he's doing it to drive me crazy. My vote goes to Mabel or Edith, which I think would fit quite nicely with Carlton's classy name. Anyway, get ready to say "awww"





2 comments:

  1. If she cannot be a Sheldon, I vote Mabel! I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! I love all your crafty projects. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.