Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Crossover Comparison (warning: not craft related)

Well, being snowed in has its benefits and its downsides. I have a cold, so it's nice that I can rest and relax. I also have homework and ProCert write-ups that I could be doing. And.. there's always cleaning and organizing.

But I'd rather do something more fun, which is talking about how excited I am for my new car to arrive. I spent well over a year researching cars and deciding what would be the perfect investment for me. It's not chump change to us, so I wanted something that fit all my needs and wants (and I was excited about) but also one that would last us for years.

Here is a list of my wants:
  •  Sits higher (personal preference)
  •  Decent gas mileage (compared to my Sable's 18-21 range)
  •  Not huge - easy to maneuver and drive around
  •  Ample storage for road trips/trips to the craft store :)
  •  Could easily transition into a family car --> If we have it for 10 years, our kids will be, at maximum 7 or 8 years old.... So room enough for a car seat or adult passengers for now
  • Updated technology --> If I was going to have a car for several years I decided I wanted to at least have the basic current technology. Coming from a car with a tape player, I wanted USB hookup, bluetooth, and navigation (depending on which vehicle I chose)
 I knew that I wanted a crossover vehicle because of appearance, versatility, and ride height. While there are some great ones at there, I wanted to stick to makes that I know get good safety and crash ratings: Toyota, Honda, Subaru, mostly. I also checked out Infiniti and Acura, at John's request. A girl can dream.

Toyota Rav4
Pros: Easy to drive, all the features I want, ample storage, top safety ratings
Cons: Stupid tire on the back, door-like back hatch (can't pull through parking spaces)

2012 Acura RDX:
Pros: high quality (well-rated), nice ride, easy to drive, good amount of story, optional "technology package"
Cons: expensive (would have to get a used one), showy, nothing "special" for a luxury vehicle in my opinion

GMC Terrain:
Pros: Exterior styling, supposedly top-rated gas mileage, ample storage, high ride height (did not test drive), good price for loaded vehicle
Cons: really low resale value, not top safety pick, possibly too big
2012 Subaru Outback:
Pros: Originally looked at the Forester, but was directed to the remodeled Outback (in 2010). This was my #1 pick until the new cr-v came out. Increased ride height, tons of storage, good price range, AWD standard, lots of legroom, good gas mileage, very reliable
Cons: Long and possibly not as easy to get around as I'd want, very "outdoorsy" reputation which doesn't fit me (I know it's silly), outdated navigation system (a small issue I was willing to overlook). 

*I still really like this car, it just doesn't give me the feeling I was looking for.


2012 Infiniti EX
Pros: Uhh, it's a luxury car, smooth ride, high quality interior, around-view monitor (top-down view of car to easily park), fun to drive, sleek modern look
Cons: Ridiculously small rear leg room, premium gas, low gas mileage, Expensive
 

2012 Ford Edge:
Pros: Exterior styling, "my Ford Touch" technology (optional), storage, supposed had mileage
Cons: Fords did not get good ratings at all (I also liked the Explorer), possibly too big, expensive
 Those were the main vehicles I had on my list, but it was pretty easy to narrow down. My mom had the 3rd generation cr-v (2007), which we also test drove:


2011 Honda CR-V:
Pros: Really easy to drive, higher ride height, know exactly where the whole car is (easy to maneuver), good amount of storage, good price
Cons: No fold-flat seats (there is a lip when you fold them that makes it difficult to put long items in flat), ride quality and road noise, exterior look was decent

Then, it happened. After the Japanese earthquake and flooding in Thailand, Honda had to postpone production of the much anticipated 2012 remodel. It finally debuted at the LA Auto Show on Thanksgiving and was released to dealerships in mid-December. Supply is still low, which means prices are slightly higher, but still a very good deal. It gets a bit of flack for not doing a huge overhaul, but why mess with the top-selling crossover?

So, what tipped me in that direction?
  •  Newly designed one-touch fold-flat seats (yes!)
  •  Improved interior quality
  •  Better insulation to reduce road noise and improve ride quality
  •   Updated technology --> backup camera, bluetooth are all standard, and includes Honda's i-Mid display (a small color screen that provides call, song, and car data)
  •  Just feels right --> still really easy to maneuver. 
  • Can you believe that it's 20 inches shorter than my current sedan?! Hello garage space

1 comment:

  1. You know I'll comment on this. I LOVE (does not begin to cover it) my CR-V and you know it! Best car I've ever had. Best car ever made. Bestity of the Besty Best.

    ReplyDelete

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.