Sunday, January 22, 2012

Picky Eating

I got an email from an online support group I belong to called Picky Eaters Association. They have a YouTube channel and an email message board and website (as you'll see below). I'm not too active on it but find comfort that I am not the only picky eater in the world and I'm not even the worst one out there.



There are other shows out there, but this one kind of sums it up. I completely feel for other people who have it a lot worse than me and I feel lucky that my choices for food have been greatly expanded over the past few years. This makes it easier to hide, and that's been the most difficult part about it. You can see in the video how you get questioned about your eating and people are judgmental about the whole thing. That's completely true. I love what the second person in the video says about how "isolating" it can be. You go to great lengths to eat alone, make excuses for how you eat, etc.



This is a video from Anderson Cooper. I don't like that he makes it seem like he's "one of us" then easily pops some Brussels sprouts into his mouth. However, the two guests sum it up really well. I was completely born this way and my mom had trouble feeding me. I do think that there is some "comfort" to what I eat, but I think it's a condition that I've always had.

Trying a new food is scary to me and only under very specific circumstances will that happen. There are also very specific reasons why I eat certain bites of some things and push away other pieces, but no one else sees what I see. It can be coloring, texture, having a bad experience with the previous bite, etc.

I'm comforted by the fact that I am eating somewhat more healthy than others I know from this board and have more options. However, if I had my choice I would eat pasta, cereal, bread, and other similar things everyday. Growing up I ate so many packets of Ramen noodles (plain without the packets of flavoring, then slowly with the flavoring but with the green herbs strained out, then all the flavoring) that you would think I would be completely sick of them. That's not true, I still feel so happy eating them and I would never get tired of them.


Anyway, I think it's important to get the word out about this. I also do it to show others that I'm not crazy and I'm not alone. I hope that this becomes something that is accepted more in the medical community. Do I worry about having a healthy pregnancy someday? Yes. Do I worry about how I will be as a mother? Yes. Do I worry my kids will be the same way? Yes. So we'll see where it goes.

Anyway... Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know, we all worry about healthy pregnancies, how we'll be as mothers and that our children will someday be like us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate to this!

    I was a terribly picky eater as a kid and my feelings of fear didn't make sense to anyone else. People would tell my mom to just make me eat, or not feed me anything else so I would have to eat what she gave me. Thank goodness she didn't do that because I never felt like it was a choice. There were a lot of things that I just couldn't handle putting in my mouth. "Just try one bite" never worked on me either. Texture, appearance, something would freak me out about it.

    As a toddler I ate only a raisin molasses bar called hermits for several years. I was told later that my mom was adding powdered supplements to them to try to keep me healthy.

    I've grown out of it somewhat, but not completely. I started looking at food in a new way in college, more as art. It helped me to expand my horizons. I am still picky, though. And I feel bad because I can't just "be polite" and eat what's put in front of me when I'm a guest at someone's home. It takes me a long time to carefully warm up to a potential new food.

    ReplyDelete

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.