Saturday, January 8, 2011

Funny how...

.... as soon as school starts I have very little to share.

This first week back to school was actually not too bad. The kids (for the most part) were ready to jump back into things and now it feels like we've been there all along. Because we've had such a long break and are nearing the end of first semester, both the students and I shared some goals we have for the 2nd half of the year. My goals include:
  1. Providing more feedback to students (more individual check-ins) during math rather than waiting for them to have questions.
  2. Utilizing student jobs more to help make the classroom more autonomous. 
  3. Taking science notes in a more meaningful way. 
  4. Be more consistent with expectations (as always, I feel like I slip a bit through the year)
Nothing too big and life-changing, but just things to keep me on my toes. Honestly, I've been much more lax with these students because they are so good, and because I was burnt out from being so tough last year. I foresee my third year teaching being a successful one in terms of finding my groove and what works for me (it will also help that I will be teaching the same thing again).


So, I don't think I've mentioned yet, but I am getting very excited to go on my first big trip of the year. My partner teacher organizes a student trip for the 6th and 7th graders in the district to go to Washington D.C., and I get to go, too. It's all through a program called World Strides, and they organize the itinerary, flight, hotel, everything. They also provide night chaperones to watch the rooms overnight (which is the most tiring part!).We're going in April, and I really look forward to it.

Our second big trip is an Alaskan cruise that my parents, my sister and her boyfriend, and John and I are going to in August. It's my parent's 30th anniversary, my mom's 60th birthday, and our 2nd anniversary. None of us has ever been on a cruise, and we thought we'd try one out that we didn't have to fly to. While it isn't necessarily a "party cruise" for us twenty-somethings, I think it'll be more our speed. Looking at all the brochures and information online, we're getting pretty excited for it. Too bad we have to wait until August!


Alright, some friends are coming over tonight, so I better make things presentable around here.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.