Saturday, February 26, 2011

Almost done...

So I started my C-Table yesterday but didn't have enough screws to finish the job. Also, I had to figure out a way to clamp 2 pieces of wood together at 90 degrees. FYI, they make special clamps for that. :)

Anyway, I finished building it today but I still have to paint it. I have plans to put it in the ladies room at work. Kind of weird, but they all complain about not having a place to set down their mail/copies/coffee cup. Since it's my first project and I don't really have a use for it here, that's probably what I'll do.

It's nothing fantastic, but I'm proud of myself that all the pieces fit together and it actually looks like the plans I used. The wood filler is currently drying in the countersunk (?) holes I put the screws in, then I'll prime it and paint it with a color I have leftover from the walls.
My work area. John got the sawhorses for Christmas and I'm the first to actually use them!

I asked John to get me some 2" screws to make a table. He got me 4. Ha!

Working with my power tools!

Thar she is! Unpainted, but done!

Front View

Side View



Our other big news is that we bought a table. We wanted something simple and dark that would be timeless. This guy, from the Old Cannery (made by Jofran Furniture), is made out of Mango wood, which I believe is similar to rubberwood. Either way, it is a BEAST. We almost killed ourselves getting it inside - we had to open the box outside and take it in piece by piece. It's not going anywhere.

We just bought the table since I don't want our house to look too matchy-matchy and store bought. I plan on getting 2 upholstered chairs for the side (I put a chair from our entryway on the side to test out the "look"), a bench for the front, and 2 other chairs for the back (not sure if we'll buy the 2 that match it for those). I can't wait to get a rug and curtains to define the space a little more, but it's a great start!!

There is an 18" leaf inside of it, so it can fit about 8 people at it, too. Hopefully we'll have this for years and years!

1 comment:

  1. That C table is going to be awesome!

    I love the dining room table too--we are looking to get a new one and I was thinking along the same lines as you: two upholstered chairs (with arms so they can be pulled into our living for entertaining), two parsons chairs and a bench--preferably I'd like a bench with a hidden compartment underneath to hide some things :)

    ReplyDelete

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.