Friday, February 25, 2011

Fitness Challenge



I never updated after John and I's first weigh-in on the 15th. Probably because I didn't want to announce to everyone that I lost.

This is what I get for going up against a boy. Here's how it went:

John: Lost 8 pounds. I have no idea how he did this, especially since I tried to sabotage him. He only went to the gym once. He does walk around his building quite a bit, but not any more than he did before the challenge. I didn't see him eating less. I'm fairly certain he drank like 8 bottles of water before his initial weigh in to throw the results.

Lindsay: Lost 0 pounds. Not all bad - I didn't gain any. I really didn't change my eating habits at all, which is what makes the biggest difference for me. I snack way to much and do not practice portion control. I went to the gym more than I have, but not enough to really make a difference.

John's "prize" is to go skiing at Mission Ridge. We'll see if he can find a chance to go do that before it gets warm. No massage for me. The next weigh in is March 15th, which is pretty close already.

Feel free to read on if you want....
I think I had a turning point this week. Target has made the unfortunate choice (unfortunate for me) of putting a mirror in the front of your dressing room and in the back. Well, whilst trying on a few things (which never helps my self-image anyway) I noticed that I have developed back rolls.

I realize I just announced that to all of blog land.

Anyway, I gotta get my butt in gear before I gain any more. Things have really changed since I finished college. I'm no longer walking miles a day to and from class and downtown.

This week I went to the gym and did the elliptical. My sister and I went to Zumba again and are going to go every Tuesday night (perhaps we'll work up to 2 nights a week, but we like the instructor better on Tuesdays). When I have lost weight in the past (only like 5 pounds), I stopped snacking and that made a huge difference. So I'm going to try to stick to that (i.e. not stashing a bunch of food in my classroom when school is back in session, portioning snacks at home or choosing not to have them, not going back for seconds, etc.).

My mom and I were talking, and for families like us that celebrate everything with food, this is an entire lifestyle change. I realize that I think about food constantly. Yes, I am a picky eater, but that doesn't mean I don't absolutely love the food I do eat. So how do you make that change where you're not thinking about food all the time? We also discussed what you could do to make you feel equally as good.  When I think about the couple of bucks I spend on a treat, and I think about what I could buy with that money that's equally as pleasing, I can't think of anything! So that's a sign that I need to make a change.


Anyway, limiting my food intake and getting moving will be my focus for this month. Going to Zumba is a great way to spend an hour and burn some calories. I'd also like to start walking at lunch with my partner teacher - it's been too cold though!

We'll see. I know I won't be dropping 8 pounds like John, but hopefully I can make progress!

1 comment:

  1. Amen sistah! I need to do all of the same things. We'll start with some Zumba and work our way up from there... Maybe I can come over sometimes and we can do some Wii dance party?!?! (pretty much Zumba without the Latin emphasis)

    ReplyDelete

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.