Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bones and Furniture

Today I visited my sister at her place of work - Northwest Tissue Center. I had never been there for the tour and they just moved buildings from downtown Seattle to Renton - conveniently near Ikea. Her job is much more complicated then how I explain it, but basically a hospital calls, asks her for a specific bone or tissue, and she ships it to them. I am fascinated by this because most of the parts are in clear bags that we could look at. Lauren was very cooperative and showed us some cool stuff - which I will then show my students (we just finished studied the musculoskeletal system). Here are some unclear pictures (the bags were frosted up):

These are called Croutons. They are not for salad - they are pieces of spongy bone.

This is a piece of something, but now I can't remember what

This is a tendon that's all scrunched up.

This is the ball part of the femur that attached to the socket in the pelvis

This is a full FEMUR!

These are the freezers with all the body parts.
I felt like I was Dexter. Especially when she showed us the half of a pelvis that was wrapped in a thick blue paper towel. Crazy! It was fun.



So then we went to Ikea where I dreamed of making my craft room. Especially since last night I was using a sewing machine on the floor with my knee on the foot pedal. I really like the option of the 4x4 bookcase because when I eventually have to move my craft room to the bonus room it can serve as a room divider (and I can work in the back cubby of the bonus room). We'll see. I tried to call John and get the okay but he played the whole I'll-call-you-back-in-a-second-then-never-calls-back game. Tricky move, John, tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.