Sunday, December 19, 2010

Shedding a little light on the situation...

Because of the holidays and our recent vehicle purchase, our house has been put on hold. This is fine, since we really don't need anything. There are some "big" purchases in our future, though, so we're starting to prioritize what we want to get done first. Some of them include:

1. a Flat screen t.v. - we only have 1 t.v. and no, it's not flat screen. We also don't have cable, so this hasn't been a huge priority for us. However, prices are coming down and it would help us to finish the living room if we had one to mount on the wall and decorate around (the wall behind our t.v. is currently naked - I'd like to do ceiling medallions like Joi has on Nuestra Vida Dulce, but I want to wait). I'd also like to get a long credenza for our entertainment unit under the wall-mounted tv, but will also wait. Again, nothing we're in a hurry to get.


2. A dining room table - The table we have is a good-sized teak table from John's parents. I got cheap Ikea chairs for it when we first got married. It's a fine table, but doesn't match the house at all. The downstairs would be basically complete if we had a better table. And if we're going to get a table, we might as well get curtains, a rug, and a new pendant lamp to complete it. More on that in a minute. Also, as soon as we get a new table, I can put the teak table upstairs and use it as a free crafting table. I'd like a higher table to work at, but it will do.

This is what I'm leaning towards, with 2 different types of chairs around...


3. Speaking of crafting, I'd like to complete my craft room, preferably before we have to convert it to a nursery. My dad is supposed to help me making shelving like this to organize my various supplies:
4. A new car for me. Okay, this isn't even in view yet. But wouldn't that be fun to drive around in something like this:
or this:
or THIS?
Just kidding - the gas mileage on this would be killer. Plus, it's a little too showy for me.


So, you're probably wondering why the post is titled, "Shedding light..." Well, while creating a design board for the dining room, I've run across a bunch of pendant lights that I love. I'd like to do something unique, yet subtle and not something that will get old/look dated. Lighting is something that can blend in, or totally stand out and make the room. Here are some cool lights that are on my wish list:

Originally I wanted a simple large drum pendant. I like that this one is wide.

This one has slightly more detail and personality and is a bit taller than wide.

I like the size of this one. It's a bit darker color, too.
Then I saw THIS, from West Elm, and totally love the look.

A similar shape, this is one piece that has 5 staggered lights, from CB2
And then to totally mess me up, I saw this one, from Ballard Designs. Comes in other colors, but isn't it pretty?!


We'll see what John thinks, and we'll see how my design board turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love me some blog lovin'! Feel free to share a story, share your opinions, or share your knowledge. I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem rude or inappropriate.